2021 Graduation Information and Special Instructions
C.E. Byrd High School
2021 Graduation Information and Special Instructions
Date: Saturday, May 29, 2021
Time: 7:00 P.M. (6:00 P.M. arrival time for graduates)
Location: Independence Stadium
- Financial Obligations: Before you receive your diploma, all fees and debts must be paid in full. See a bookkeeper if you have any questions…this is your responsibility—take care of it NOW!
- Join the C.E. Byrd High School Alumni Association: Annual dues are $25.00 and covers the first 5 years after a senior graduates. Our fiscal year runs from August to August. The dues are used to pay for mailings, postage, two issues of Alumni Highlife, landscaping, or anything else the Alumni are responsible for. Lifetime dues are $250.00. These funds are invested for future use and only the interest can be used for current spending. There is a half sheet attached if you are interested.
- Online Ticketing
- Tickets will be available May 3, 2021 on locallevelevents.com
- Students will be limited to 10 tickets per access code. The access code for the site is the student’s ID number without the beginning zeroes.
- Do not copy and share tickets. If tickets are printed and copied, the first copy through the gate will void all other copies and those guests will not be allowed in the stadium.
- Families may submit troubleshooting issues or questions through Let’s Talk by visiting https://www.caddoschools.org/contact-us/. Under Topics of Interest, select Graduation 2021 Technical issues. The district will work to resolve all concerns in an expedited manner.
- Dress: The clothes you wear should not detract from the dignity of the commencement exercises. Proper clothes must be worn, but you will want to dress comfortably to accommodate for the heat! You should be empty-handed for graduation (no purses, cell phones, flowers, etc.)
- Ladies—dresses should not extend below the graduation gown. Dark shoes look the best. Do NOT remove your cap during the National Anthem. NO SHARP, POINTED HEELS!! YOU WILL NOT BE ALLOWED ON THE FIELD WITH SHARP HEELS! Wedges or flats are best.
- Gentlemen— Wear dark colored slacks and a white or light-colored shirt with a tie. Remove your cap during the National Anthem, the invocation, and the benediction only.
- Students and guests must wear masks during the ceremony
- Cap and Gown: Only an approved cap and gown may be worn…faded caps and gowns will not be approved (see Mrs. Byrd or Mrs. Carberry for approval). For best appearance, hang your gown on a hanger overnight and steam it if needed. You may put your cap and gown on once you arrive at the convention center. Caps should be worn SQUARLEY on the head—flat with the deep point in the back. The tassel on the cap should be worn suspended over the right front of the cap. DO NOT change the tassel position until told to do so during the ceremony. These are breakable…so be careful, or you’ll be “tassel-less”! No decorations allowed on your caps. Save that for college.
- Photographs/Video: A professional photographer will take a picture of each graduate after they’ve received their diploma. No one other than the authorized individuals will be allowed on the field before, during, or after the ceremony. The ceremony will be live-streamed at https://www.ustream.tv/channel/caddo-school-board
All ceremonies will be archived on the district’s Ustream and Facebook page.
Only authorized individuals will be allowed on the field before, during, and after the ceremony.
- Parking and Assembly: Report to Independence Stadium before 6:00 P.M. with your cap and gown. You should be in the holding area at 6:00 to line up, not showing up to park! Parking will be free, and graduates and family need to park in the WEST lot! Students will enter and exit the stadium at the Club Level Gate. Faculty members and signs will direct you to the line-up area and your place in the line. Only graduates and faculty members will be allowed in the line-up area. Students will park in the Orange Lot, and families will park in the Gold, Green, Brown and Gray Lots. Handicap parking is located north of the Gate 3 entrance. See Map. Students should continue to distance while waiting for the ceremony to begin.
- Processional: At 6:45 P.M., lines will move into place, and promptly at 7:00 P.M. graduates will march in and remain standing until AFTER the National Anthem and the invocation. There will be guides to help you remember where to go and what to do. Remember…fill in all seats…no empty seats…even if that means you aren’t sitting in the same seat as before you crossed the stage. Pay close attention to the NHS Usher. They will guide you to where you’re supposed to be. You’ll have a program on your chair so you will know what is going on. Don’t do anything silly to draw attention to yourself. This isn’t the time to be rowdy.
- Diplomas: NHS will direct each row to rise and come forward to the stage. You will be stopped and your name will be checked by the counselor and/or faculty marshal before you cross the stage. Move onto the stage as your name is called…you will receive an empty diploma cover from the principal. You will pause and take a picture with the principal and a diploma cover. After you get through that line, march off stage. Pause to have your individual picture taken and follow the path back to your seat (pay attention to the path!) and remain standing until the entire row is in place. You will all be seated together. Seniors in the Top 10% of the Class will receive their diplomas first. After all graduates receive their “diplomas,” a special ceremony will instruct you when to move your tassel from the right side to the left side of your cap.
- 10.Recessional: Remain standing for the Alma Mater and the benediction. There will be a fireworks display following the Alma Mater. You need to stay at your seat for the Alma Mater, fireworks display, and the benediction. After the benediction, the recessional will begin. Remain in line and follow the National Honor Society guides/faculty marshals where tables will be located and your diploma will be given to you…stay in alphabetical order! If there is a problem with your diploma, wait until all graduates have received their diplomas and a counselor will assist you.
- 11.Diploma Covers—DO NOT BRING YOUR DIPLOMA COVER TO GRADUATION You’ll be handed a prop one on stage. You must return the diploma cover (it’s not yours) BEFORE you get your diploma. There will be a checkpoint where you will place it in a box, and then you will retrieve your diploma. DO NOT LEAVE WITH THE SCHOOL DIPLOMA COVER
- 12.Reminders: Commencement, the solemn but joyful climax and recognition of the graduate’s years of study is an important and meaningful occasion to the school and its faculty, staff, and students.
- Guests and participants are to avoid moving around and having unnecessary conversation after the ceremony has started.
- Wait to applaud until AFTER ALL GRADUATES have been called.
- No banners, balloons, airhorns, etc.
- Graduates are expected to conduct themselves according to school policy…students with unacceptable behavior will not be awarded a diploma at the graduation ceremony.
- Don’t bring your diploma cover to graduation…we’ll have one for you to borrow…remember #9!
- Gates for visitors will open at 5:30 P.M. This will allow time for parking, walking to the stadium, and scanning tickets.
- Bottled water will be provided for graduates. Guests may purchase drinks at the Concession stand. No outside food or drinks will be permitted.
- Conclusion: The graduation ceremony will begin promptly at 7:00 P.M. The activities should be over no later than 9:00 P.M. Per COVID guidelines, after the ceremony, graduates and guests need to depart immediately from the parking lot.
Please inform your family members and guests about acceptable behavior, prohibited items, and arrival times.
Congratulations Class of 2021!